Wi-Fi access has become a necessity in homes and workplaces, but this can also open a door for cybercriminals and other identity thieves. Whether you are in your home or at the office, an unsecured Wi-Fi router running on the default settings will become a liability when it comes to hacking. Wi-Fi scammers who are capable to access your private information can create burden your broadband connection.
In case your Wi-Fi network is not secured completely, you could be letting anyone with a wireless-enabled device to gain access. Maybe you are not worried about someone using your wireless connection but there is a risk of exposing your sensitive data to cyber scammers out there. For such sensitive cases, Norton has designed a secured Wi-Fi router, Norton core. After you set up the router, you can ensure the network safety.
How can you maintain the basic router security?
Every router should have a strong and unique password to help keep out the cybercriminals. Some new routers come up with the default passwords; always keep in mind that you have to change these during the setup. You must create a new, complex and a unique password for your wireless router. Below mentioned are the instructions to be considered while setting up Wi-Fi routers:
- All wireless routers do have a numerical address. You can get yours by searching online to get your router’s model
- In the ‘Security settings,’ you have to create a name for your router, a password, and a type of encryption
- Make sure you choose a complex password that you can remember but cannot be accessed by the hackers
- Do not forget to save the updated information when prompted on-screen
- Your router is now secured against cybercriminals roaming around
How to set up Wi-Fi router securely?
The manufacturers of the Wi-Fi Routers know the importance of their product to be user –friendly. Most of the routers come with the manual instructions that are easy to configure. Nowadays, applications are replacing the bulky user manuals and web interfaces that walk users through the setup process.
Important: While using such applications has made easy for the customers to set-up routers but this may not be a secure step. Here are a few things you should consider before you set-up the Wi-Fi router.
- You must update your Wi-Fi router with new firmware
- You should change your login details and Wi-Fi router password
- Always use WPA2 encryption to secure your wireless network
- You must disable your Wi-Fi Protected Setup if enabled
- You should schedule your wireless network’s online schedule
- You must get rid of any risk or unverified services
- You must set up a guest network for your smart home devices
What are the other router security helpers?
You can use a virtual private network (VPN) and to build complete protection for your device you can install all-in-one protection i.e. New Norton 360 with Life lock. This Norton security application will build a shield and you will get advanced data security and identity theft protection.
Important: You should always use a firewall to be safe and protected from viruses and malware.
A firewall monitors all the incoming and outgoing network traffic and allows you to block the specific traffic. It is an important security feature to look for while selecting a Wi-Fi router. To build online safety of your network and devices, it is better not to disable a firewall.
Why you should install and use Norton security software?
Setting up security for your Wi-Fi network doesn’t take much time at all and will help you to have protection against hackers. Cybercriminals work tirelessly to gain access to your personal details online. A small investment in security software could go a long way. The most recommended antivirus is Norton security.
Conclusion: Nowadays, many homes are connected and various devices are using Wi-Fi, you’ll be wise to protect all of the valuable information those devices contain. Do not take any chances. Just a few minutes of selecting the right antivirus software and doing the Wi-Fi router settings can make the difference to your connected world. Be secure with Norton security software and enjoy surfing the internet with secured Wi-Fi routers.